Monday, October 31, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : ONE OF A FEW BY JASON B LADD

I received a free copy of this book, as well as the audiobook, in return for an honest opinion.




TITLE : ONE OF A FEW
AUTHOR : JASON B LADD
PAGE COUNT : 309
RELEASE DATE : 2015
SERIES : -
FOLLOWED BY : -
GENRE : NON-FICTION, RELIGIOUS
GOODREADS






A US Marine fighter pilot explores life’s important questions as he prepares for combat, searches for truth, and wages spiritual warfare during his mission to become a better husband and father. 

Jason B. Ladd grows up in a military family with loving parents but spends his young life filled with spiritual apathy. 

Ladd enters the US Marine Corps, becomes a fighter pilot, and sees combat in Iraq before life events align to nudge him into profound spiritual inquiry. Digging deep into his quest for truth, he realizes the art and science of fighter pilot fundamentals can help him on his journey. 

Filled with stories that contrast his spiritual apathy with his post-Christian worldview passion, One of the Few is the compelling life story of a spiritual seeker engaged in a thrilling profession combined with a strong, reasonable defense of Christianity. 

For fans of Ravi Zacharias, Lee Strobel, and Frank Turek, Ladd’s remarkable journey shares the transformative power of faith during a time when belief in God is dismissed and religious liberty in the military is attacked. 


Plenty have warned my life is not remarkable enough for a book. I've decided not to believe them.

That is my favorite line of the book, even just a few pages in. It immediately drew myself enough attention to my own life, to understand how every person's story IS remarkable, IS book worthy.

As written above, this book is written by Jason, a marine pilot, who have been searching for the meaning for life, in the form of Christian worldview. How this worldview changed who he was, and build who he is today.  

To be honest, this is not a type of book that I would read on my free time.  It is not that I am not into non-fiction, it is just how (1st) it is about religion, and (2nd) the book is filled with military jargon, terms, and traditions that I am not familiar with, which is quite confusing to start off with, and to hold on to.  I have been putting it away and picking it back up again for those reasons.  So, I apologize Jason, if it took so long for me to review this piece of yours.

Jason have been sooo patient with me, waiting for the time I eventually post this review.  And now I feel terrible for not loving to the most of it.  It is not all bad, yet it is not all good, just like every other book.  And here are my reasons why:



Why it is good
I personally love how each of the chapter begins with two different quotes, from two different people; one as a secular view, while the other, a biblical view.  This gave deep and diverse perspectives towards a certain topic which in this case made me respect the author for not only viewing the world from just one point.

"Man is naturally good." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"There is no one who does good, not even one" (Rom/ 3:12) - Apostle Paul

I appreciate how well this book is written with intellect and kind knowledge which I believe the author possesses far before the book was planned, and this aspect of writing made the book mature. It doesn't seem rushed, nor does is seem ungainly.  To my surprise, I enjoy this book, aside from the fact that it is about religion (a topic I am not highly interested with). 

Before the beginning of the universe (the singularity, the Big Bang, etc...), there was no time; there was no place. At the moment of creation, nature (and thus natural laws) did not exist. Therefore, the event of creation could not be produced by natural causes. This makes the creation of the universe a miracle by definition.

Aside from that, reading the book up till the end, left me in awe.  The live lived by the author, how he evolved as a person, how his worldview mature in every step of the way, how he overcame what ever, is a beautiful growth that I have yet to admire.  Growing up in a secular family, must not be easy for a person to gain faith this strong, yet this book is done.  The author knows what he is talking about, and he have been through a lot of thoughts before putting it into words.  He seems to know what is wrong and what is right, what is there and what is missing, what is safe and what is fatal, what is weird and what is certain, what is to believe and what is to not.

Show these movies to a kid without worldview guidance and they end up thinking anyone who joins a group that believes in a higher power must be dumb, gullible, or just plain crazy. 

And I agree.

This book also covers up many topics from faith, alcoholism, sex, relationships, love, and many more (I should've note them all down), so readers can follow how he contemplates all of those topics into his worldview.

Why it is not that good:
Maybe the reason why I cant connect entirely with this book is because I myself, am not a believer. I am born a Buddhist, and have been till today.  And the reason behind my worldview is because I have two loving parents who are very devoted to this religion since the day I was born.

And so it felt(emphasize on felt, which is entirely subjective upon my opinion), that the author seemed to not realize that there are more than one worldview, that also understands and have helped countless of people into leading a beautiful and meaningful life.  And as sensitive as this could have continued, I would have to say that if taken objectively, this book is a great read for people who are interested in diving deeper, or finding verification of the Christian worldview, from the perspective of a marine pilot. 

Regarding the deity of Hinduism, Ravi Zacharias points out how the "playfulness of Krishna and his exploits with the milkmaids in the Bhagavad-Gita is . . . an embarrassment to many Hindu scholars." Regarding Islam, Zacharias continues, "Mohammed's marriages to eleven wives have been fascinating subject for Muslim scholars to explain."
Siddhartha Gautama abandoned his wife and son to seek enlightenment, and Bhagawan was a sex guru who never married. ...
....
Then we have Jesus, the only spiritual leader who lived a sinless life and actually claimed to be God.

The other thing about this book that I dont highly enjoy is how the author likes to exaggerate an ordinary occurrence, which when done exceedingly is not exactly compelling.

Audiobook review
The narration was decent, but not highly entertaining.  Yet I understand that it is not a fictional read, but I have heard other non-fiction audiobooks more interesting that this.  

Audiobook rating : 3/5 stars

MY BOOK RATING:





1 comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall