Tuesday, September 13, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : THE BUNKER DIARY BY KEVIN BROOKS

--WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK--


TITLE : THE BUNKER DIARY
AUTHOR : KEVIN BROOKS
PUBLISHER : PENGUIN
PAGE COUNT : 268
RELEASE DATE : 7TH MARCH 2013
SERIES : -
FOLLOWED BY : -
GENRE : THRILLER, MYSTERY, SUSPENSE
GOODREADS



Room meets Lord of the Flies, The Bunker Diary is award-winning, young adult writer Kevin Brooks's pulse-pounding exploration of what happens when your worst nightmare comes true - and how will you survive?

I can't believe I fell for it.

It was still dark when I woke up this morning.

As soon as my eyes opened I knew where I was.

A low-ceilinged rectangular building made entirely of whitewashed concrete.

There are six little rooms along the main corridor.

There are no windows. No doors. The lift is the only way in or out.

What's he going to do to me?

What am I going to do?

If I'm right, the lift will come down in five minutes.

It did. Only this time it wasn't empty . . .



I knew about this book just a couple of weeks ago, when I was asked by a friend of mine if I had known anything about it, which I obviously didn't, and she told me that it might be the type of book that would blow your mind away.  And for that, I got excited and searched for the book.  Well, she is about right!  This book kept me up at night and at work and kept me guessing whats going to happen next, until... BAMM! I reached the ending and was just left speechless.

So this is a story about captivity, but just a warning : NOT A HAPPY ENDING one.  It was written in a diary format, of a boy, names Linus.  He was just a teenage boy, who came from a rich background, and nothing particularly special about him.  He was the first to be in "kidnapped", and then came 5 others one by one. 

By the first half of the book, I thought I knew where this was going.  I thought that it was so predictable and easy, although I have enjoyed reading it.  But as I dive deeper to the book, weirder things kept happening.  And as this book was written in a diary format, not everything is revealed.  You can only read what the writer wants to write in his diary.  So some of the things were just left out, you just don't know what happen to the parts where he didn't write about.

To some people, this book might appear as disturbing, but I don't really think so.  I think it is more depressing than disturbing.  And add a little suspense.  This is the type of book that I want to keep reading, but nt because every page is such a page-turner, but just because I really need, NEED, to know what is going to happen in the end...

I have to say that I hated the ending so much.  So much, that I get to love it.  I think it is a brilliant way to finish a book, but in a very annoying way.

Overall I think that the writing style is easy and fun.  The characters were believable, real, yet there're more to it.  It is like in real life, where every single day you spent with a person, another new thing you learn about them.  And that's what I find with these characters.  This is also the reason why some o the time they were just unpredictable and left me shocked at what happened to them or what have they done.  The plot was fun to carry on to, ut again, it is annoying to the fact that it is depressing and so sad, but in a great way.

For those of you who LOVE thriller suspense story, I guarantee, this is a book for you.

-SPOILER ALERT-

I am not a type of person who read a mystery book and can come up with several theories related to the plot.  But while reading this gem, I kept on thinking- well, wishing- that the villain is going to explain somehow, as to why these 6 people were chosen, and at random.  I also didn't expect any deaths to happen!  That's because in the first half of the book everything seemed just fine.  I thought that the villain was just "playing", a psycho, or something along that line.  But as I think about it, why would a psycho even bother cleaning out a bunker and renovating it into such a place? I mean, it need energy and money to even begin this from happening.  So...?

Or maybe this is a type of experiment, of human nature.  They could be some kind of lab-rats the "villains" were trying to study.  But then it is just so absurd, I just can't. Man...

--END OF SPOILERS--

I thought that this book would be great if there is a continuation to the story.  Either we can read the diaries of other members of the captivity, or maybe do another kidnapping session and have another new person write a new diary.  I just hope to know what's going on, thats all.. *cries in the corner*

MY RATING


1 comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall