Thursday, July 14, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : THE BFG BY ROALD DAHL [AND A LITTLE TRAILER REVIEW]


TITLE : THE BFG
AUTHOR : ROALD DAHL
NARRATOR : GEOFFREY PALMER
PUBLISHER : PUFFIN BOOKS
PAGE COUNT : 195
RELEASE DATE : 2001 (FIRST PUBLISHED IN 1982)
GENRE : CHILDREN, FANTASY, FICTION
GOODREADS

Captured by a giant! The BFG is no ordinary bone-crunching giant. He is far too nice and jumbly. It's lucky for Sophie that he is. Had she been carried off in the middle of the night by the Bloodbottler, the Fleshlumpeater, the Bonecruncher, or any of the other giants-rather than the BFG-she would have soon become breakfast. 

When Sophie hears that they are flush-bunking off in England to swollomp a few nice little chiddlers, she decides she must stop them once and for all. And the BFG is going to help her!


'You may think you is eight,' the BFG said, 'but you has only spent four years of your life with your little eyes open. You is only four and please stop higgling me. Titchy little snapperwhippers like you should not be higgling around with an old sage and onions who is hundreds of years more than you.'

Well I must be 10 then!

What was I doing back in my childhood?! Is it not as colorful as I thought or what?  And it's quite sad when I ran into books like this.  When I was younger, I remember my teacher telling stories like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, but I never did try to read the book or explore the author.  I guess I was just that lazy kid after all, hah!  Well I was triggered to read this children's book after watching the live action movie adaptation in early 2016, and I just have all those goosebumps running all over my neck till the top of my head.  I miss being lost in a whimsical magical world where all we have to deal with were witches, and dragons, and human eating giants!  I heard that there was another animated adaptation in the past, in 1989 i think, but even that, I didn't know.  What a miss-out!  I was a little angry with myself knowing that I didn't really read much as a kid. But here I am, 21 years old, reading and listening to Roald Dahl's The BFG.



I believe we all know how the story goes.  

I really enjoy the usage of funny grammar and spelling which showcases how goofy the giants can be. I can surely imagine reading this as a little girl, grinning through the pages, with those cute little illustrations.  This time I listened to the audiobook as well and Geoffrey Palmer did a really fantastic job! It is the abridged version so some of the sentences were cut off but aside from that the voice act is imaginative.  I really can't wait to watch the movie, which is any time soon!

The story is very amusing and even though many of it does not make any sense, they are just solely enjoyable! 

I take that many people hated the movie adaptation trailer, but I just don't get the hate! I think it is awesome and I really can't wait to see more.  I love the effects, I love the casting, I love the music, I might be uisng the word 'love' just a bit tooo much now. 

I think I'll be reading another Roald Dahl's book in the near future. I am going for Matilda. I believe that it's a good story too. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall